Friday, April 20, 2012

Cooper's Immunizations

Today I took Cooper for his five year well-check and immunizations. He did great through the check-up, landing in the 81% for height and 92% for weight. He is a solid little guy. He chatted with the doctor and told him how to spell his name, how old he was, what he got for his birthday, what grade he'd attend in the fall and his sister's name and its spelling. After proclaiming Cooper healthy, the doctor left and sent in the nurses.

Two sweet nurses came in, looked at Cooper and sent for a third. After all, a boy in the 81st and 92nd was bound to be strong. I held Cooper's hands and one nurse held his legs while the other two administered the shots. Cooper did great through the first two, only saying, "Ow! That hurts!" and squeezing my hands tightly. The next two brought a few tears, but the last one (it burned a little) sent him over the edge. He cried loudly for 15.6 seconds until I told him it was over. He immediately stopped, sat up and said, "I get my chocolate shake now?" (I may have bribed him before the appointment).

I said yes, and he turned to the nurses and said, "It was not nice to do that to me." They apologized and said it would help him stay healthy and one of them offered him a lollipop. He looked at her with tears still on his cheeks and said, "I should get five, because I had five shots." She couldn't argue with his excellent logic and Cooper soon had five lollipops clutched in his hand. He looked up at the nurses, smiled and said, "That's how you are nice to a five year old boy!" He thanked them and we left.

6 comments:

Dave & Melissa said...

LOL what a way to negotiate! :o)

Anonymous said...

I think that boy has a future in politics!!!
Nana

Sheryl said...

Don't you know that story made the rounds of the doctor's office today! Excellent thinking, Cooper! This boy will go far in life!!

j2 said...

That child is a book waiting to be written! Wait! This blog is your first draft, right??

Katie Call said...

He's such a goon. I love that kid's sense of humor. I'm sure his kindergarten teachers will too!

Megan Gunyan said...

I think he'd make an excellent lawyer...