I have reached the midterm of my classes for this semester. I'm sure you are all aware of my math difficulties. I am not doing bad, but neither am I doing well. After speaking with my professor, it is unlikely that I will be able to pull my C- to a B in the next five weeks unless I receive a 90% or above on my remaining tests. (I'll give you a moment to control your wild laughter).
Why do I need a B, you ask? This class was fulfilling a requirement for one the three tests I must pass by December 15th. Therefore, if I continue in my class, I will not only receive a grade that will plummet my 3.8 GPA to a 3.4 (not high enough for a academic scholarship) but I will have to take and pass the dreaded third test anyway.
HOWEVER, if I withdraw from my class, my credits for the semester will drop below the "progressive rate" that BYUI requires, and regardless of my straight A's and one B-, I will be put on Academic Warning. Academic Warning will not affect my GPA, my progression toward my degree, or my financial aid. The only downside is its like using my "get out of jail free" card early in the game. If, during the remaining course of my illustrious college career, I withdraw or fail another class, or my GPA drops below 2.0, I run the risk of being put straight on Academic Probation. Here are my options:
1. I withdraw from Intermediate Algebra by November 5. There will be no penalty with my financial aid, my GPA will remain in its glorious state, and I can put all my previous class time, tutoring, and effort into studying like mad to pass the third test----by only the required 70%. BUT, I will be on Academic Warning for the Winter semester, and use up my "free" card, so to speak, with two math classes left to pass (only with a C-, though). Also, I will feel like a failure.
2. I can continue with my Algebra class, try to increase my tutoring and understanding, pray for a miracle, and run the risk of not succeeding in the class, ruining my GPA, having no hair left due to stress and having to take the test anyway.
3. Shut all my books, cry for an hour straight, eat junk food while I watch TV until I weigh 545 pounds and must be removed from my house by a crane.
Any thoughts?
6 comments:
Sooo, how was your day? JK
You know what I think. Good luck with it all!
Mom
Adam votes for option 2. I just say not option 3, although White Collar could keep you plenty entertained.
You know my vote! I think everything will work out. One way or another. Just keep moving forward!
Is this a class you could take on line? And Big M is ready to help on a regular basis.
i'm probably too late to chime in here. but, back in my undergrad days, I had to take some math. i despised it. i was a liberal arts major for a reason. was doing terrible in math, but got myself a GREAT tutor. it made all the difference. i did better and learned more in that class than i ever did in math my whole life. good luck with your decision!!! p.s. all these years later, i still have nightmares about dropping a class...and the final exam, etc. don't know why, or what it means...
in the words of the very wise Larry the Cable guy....get 'er done! ;) You can do it, Jill! Get it done and over with! You don't want to suffer this twice. There is no failure in math. There is only passing. No matter how low the grade, all you have to do is pass and you can do it! In the words of all those little kids on Hook...I believe in you! ;)
Post a Comment