Monday, October 3, 2011

Straw Maze

For Family Home evening I took the kids to the straw maze. It was a really fun one, with covered walkways and low tunnels I had to bend in half to get through, plenty of dead-ends and lots of twists and turns. Here's some pictures:

The entrance. Twine was hanging so if you went through at night when it's haunted, it'd brush your face.




Getting lost...


Me and Coop.


Me and Amelia. Cooper took the pic so it's a little blurry, but I think he did well!


Getting a little frustrated at all the dead-ends.....(Cooper is reprimanding the straw bales.)


The tunnels.




Amelia and Cooper took turns leading us through the maze, switching when they hit a dead end. After an hour and five minutes, I convinced the kids to let me try and lead for awhile. I don't want to brag, but...


I took a moment to point out to my children the lessons they'd just learned. If they are lost and wandering, ask Mommy for guidance and she will help you find the right path. I was feeling quite smug about my "lesson" and knew Amelia and Cooper would remember it for years to come.

Well, "years" ended up being about a minute, because as we walked to the car, we saw a camel--yes, a camel-- sitting in the dirt. The kids rushed over to pet it.




On the way home I asked both children what they had learned tonight. Here are the replies:

Cooper: "Camels will kick you."

Amelia: "Mazes are hard, and camel's knees bend funny."

Well, at least they learned something.

6 comments:

A&K Johnson said...

Wow! I love what they learned!

Anonymous said...

Life IS like a maze. Sometimes you just get kicked by a camel! Good lesson learned. What a fun adventure for the kids!
Nana

j2 said...

Love this blog! However, the lesson we learned bout camels was that they are spitters! And stinkers! Glad you didn't have to learn those lessons.

Dave & Melissa said...

How FUN!!! I've always wanted to do one of those mazes. Yes, the lesson that stuck out to them NOW is the camels. But as they get older they will look back and always remember the lesson of the maze. Well done, Mommy! ;o)

Katie Call said...

Sounds like an awesome day! I have wanted to go to a maze for as long as I can remember. Why was the camel there?

Megan Gunyan said...

A camel? In Idaho? Huh? ;) I'm so impressed you were able to worm a lesson put of that. Bravo, you win Good Mommy award. So proud of you!