Now granted, I'd LOVE to sit home all day in my pajamas and watch TV and eat, so maybe he's onto something. I realized when we arrived he was primed for a meltdown. Not only were we away from home, it was cold and rainy and he hadn't had a nap. After we'd left Temple Square it happened. He threw a fit like I've never seen from him right in front of the Church Geneological Building. Yep, right downtown. He RAN away, he's never done that! I ran after him, of course, since he was headed toward the busy street and grabbed his arm.
He. Flipped. Out.
I was so embarrassed. No, more than embarrassed. I was mortified. I was sure the prophet himself was going to come and see what the racket was about. I finally got him to the light-rail stop and he threw an even bigger fit. (I didn't know this was possible). It was so bad a homeless man AND a drunk man moved away from us because of the pure fury emitting from my almost-4-year old.
Finally, finally, FINALLY, Katie seperated us and managed to stop Cooper from running out into traffic. I fought back tears and we got back to the train. He calmed down a little, but the whole ride home I was worried he'd erupt again. It was brutal. We got back to Katie and David's apartment and David offered to watch him while the girls went out to dinner. I was out the door before he could reconsider.
Dinner was a lot of fun. I don't have much time with just Amelia or Katie. We learned during dinner it's all about the breadsticks and diet Pepsi. It amazing what that combination can do for frazzled nerves.
We got home and Cooper hadn't gone to sleep yet. He threw one more little fit and went to sleep. So, hopefully I've learned my lesson. I might not be able do anything about the weather, but I can alter our schedule and activities to hopefully have a better experience the next time around. One things for certain--Disneyland has been pushed back a few more years!
Cooper and Amelia in front of a fountain. Cooper loved throwing in pennies, nickels and leaves!!

Me on the train....on the way to SLC, before the "incident".

Amelia and Cooper on the train.



The girls at Pizza Factory. Katie gave Amelia a necklace like hers. Amelia was thrilled.

Yes, Katie, we ALL felt that way!

It's all about the breadsticks!

Sunday was slightly better Cooper-wise, and MUCH better with NASCAR and Moose Creek Chocolate Cake. Monday we did a little shopping, had lunch, and started home. We got home and I've never seen Cooper so happy. He smiled from the time we pulled in until he went to bed (happily) in his own bed that night.
I daresay he was happier than Andy at a Chuck-O-Rama.
5 comments:
Cooper...you gotta love him.
When my kids would give me troubles, I would try to get them married so their spouse could finish raising them. I started to get Dugan married when he was five...still working on it. And still trying to raise him!! Good luck with Coop.
Cooper, throwing a fit??? He looks like such an angel in the pictures.
Katie, however. . . ?? :) Loved the pictures. . .all of them!
Nana
It was such a fun weekend! Thank goodness for the "letter 5" and my phone or else I think I would be singing another tune! Can't wait for you all to come down again!
what a fun trip! sorry about Cooper's meltdown. Speaking of tantrums... Friday Sarah threw a HUGE fit in & next to the bathrooms at Target. I'm certain the entire store could hear her. People would pass us going into the bathrooms and stare and then try not to laugh on their way back out when she was STILL at it. Soooo embarrassing. I feel your pain. Anyway, hopefully he'll (they'll) grow out of it soon. *HUGS*
Post a Comment