Sunday, July 28, 2013

Friends in the Right Places

I have friends. They may not number in the thousands, but the ones I have are very loyal, close, life-long friends. Friends are handy. Friends are good for venting to, talking to, hanging out with, and a great laugh now and then. They are also good for getting into the drive-in for free.

So, in case you didn't catch my quite obvious hint, one of my good friends owns a theater and a drive-in. We have visited the theater frequently (it runs a summer movie program) but never ventured to the drive-in, mostly because the movie STARTS two hours past bedtime. I had mentioned I planned on going to the drive-in with my children on Thursday, and before I could finish my sentence my friend had shoved a gift-card in my hand for the drive-in and told me to use it for the entrance fee and any concessions we wanted. I tried to resist and tell her I had money, but she threatened to end our friendship if I didn't take it.

So I took it.

Thursday we took naps, hit our soccer games, then loaded up for the drive-in. Amelia and Cooper could just not comprehend how a drive in works, (how does the movie play outside? what if it rains? how will we hear it?) so I told them to just wait until we got there and all their questions would be answered. We arrived early and set up our chairs, snuggled into our sleeping bags and grabbed some popcorn (I didn't use the gift card for that---so we'll see if I still have a friend when she finds out!). Amelia and Cooper loved watching TV outside, and especially liked seeing the stars, moon, and bright lights of the city when we drove home later that night. It was a lot of fun and I think we'll try to squeeze in another trip before school starts!

Here's some pics:

Amelia tucked in her sleeping bag so no movie-loving snakes could slither over her feet or up her legs. Her words.

Getting darker, almost time for the movie to start!!

Cooper was thrilled to be out past his bedtime AND watching TV outside.

2 comments:

j2 said...

You are such a five star mommy! What a fun family time!

Katie Call said...

I think drive ins are so much fun! Sounds like a fun time!