Monday, July 8, 2013

4th of July Weekend

Happy 237th birthday, United States!  I only have one complaint....could our founding fathers had picked any HOTTER time of the year to declare our independence?! Whew. Anyway, we woke up early and staked out our spot for the parade. Since we were out, we swung by and grabbed some breakfast. About an hour before the parade started we walked to our blanket and got settled in. We were at the end of the parade, which made the wait a bit longer, but the kids did okay.

The parade started and I can honestly say I didn't see hardly ANY of it. Why, you ask? Because of the kids running out to get the candy? No, no, no. Because the PARENTS of the kids were standing in the road, blocking everyone view behind them so they could make sure their precious offspring could catch and hoard the candy thrown. The ironic part is, most of the kids were 2 and under....and the candy was salt water taffy and bubblegum. How many two years old can eat salt water taffy without choking? Perhaps I should have exercised my independence and started punching people. No? Alright.

After the parade we went home and sat in front of the air conditioner for about an hour, then lit off a few fireworks that evening. I had considered taking them to a fireworks show, but when Amelia nodded off during dinner, I decided against it. They were both asleep by 7:15pm!


Cooper with the spy glass he made.

Ready to light off some fireworks. See how tired they already are?

Amelia the Safety Officer making sure all the fireworks are thoroughly cooled off and soaked through.

Friday we drive down to Blackfoot so I could get more help with my math from Professor Jackman. I think I am really close to passing this test, and no one will be happier than me when I do!  I did score a 85% on my practice test, so I have hope!!

Amelia and Cooper played in the pool at Nana and Grandpa's while I was gone:





Saturday we went out to Mom's school and went through ten boxes of books for Amelia. Two trash bags later, we came home. Amelia will not be hurting for reading material for a very looooong time!

We had a great weekend seeing everyone (Lynnli is my BFF now) and just getting out of town. Soccer starts up this week, so we'll be busy with two games a week for both Amelia and Cooper. Stay tuned for pictures, because they look awfully cute (and handsome) in their soccer stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Jill, I look at the first picture of Cooper in this blog, and the first picture of Cooper in the blog just before, and it looks to me that he is doing a Bon Jovi. . Woo! salute in both pictures. You have taught him well. Love Amelia's pictures, too.
All great pictures. Great 4th (and 5th)
Nana

j2 said...

Cant wait to see the soccer pics. hope they aren't too violent!