Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Call/Dalrymple Reunion 2013

Last weekend we journeyed to Massacre Rocks for the first annual Call/Dalrymple Reunion. I was excited to go because I hadn't seen my cousins for around 4 years, and I was looking forward to hanging out with them and their families for a bit.

We rented a cabin that overlooked the Snake River and surrounding area. This is a picture from the deck outside our cabin:


We arrived on Friday evening and had a lovely meal complete with s'mores before watching the stars come out and the moon rise. The first night was a little rough with Amelia worrying about all the nature noises we could hear. After assuring her our cabin was snake-proof, bear-proof, and coyote-proof (even if they swam across the river) she feel asleep.

The next day we went to Register Rock, which is a massive boulder the pioneers signed as they came through this area over 160 years ago. I was amazed how neat their writing was, especially since they had to use a knife to write. Overall, we were having a enjoyable experience until "The Incident".


Some of the names.

The names and dates on this section were really clear.


Amelia, happy to be out about, playing with Dalrymple's dogs......this was only moments before "The Incident".

Cooper with the older dog. He wanted to switch dogs with Amelia because "his dog doesn't DO anything."




As you can see in the picture with Cooper, there was a large rock on the left. Amelia wanted to climb it, so Cooper and I headed over to it with her. As we neared the rock, suddenly Amelia let our a blood-curling scream. I whipped my head around and saw a MASSIVE black snake slithering as fast as it could under the rock. The little darlin' had stepped on it. It startled me, (he was longer than I was with razor-sharp fangs and blood-red eyes that spewed pure evil) so I jumped back and let out a little scream of my own, quickly walking away while calling for Cooper to follow. Amelia's screams continued as she ran to where my aunt, uncle, cousins and Joey were standing and literally climbed up Joey while sobbing and screaming, "Snake! Snake! Snake!" The rest of the family went over to try and see the snake (he was long gone under the rock, probably having a little snake heart-attack) while I calmed down Amelia. Of all the people to see a snake, it had to be her! She spent the rest of the time on the high rock fence and then I carried her to the car. Cooper had returned to the car shortly after "The Incident" because his "ears hurt from Amelia freaking out."

After leaving Register Rock, we took a short hike to see the wagon ruts on the Oregon Trail. It was an east hike, only 0.8 miles and it went really well. We passed under the interstate twice and the kids liked the tunnels. Cooper and Joey went first to clear out anything that shouldn't be in there (snakes) while Amelia and I were second, then Jojo and Lynnli brought up the rear.


Amelia waiting for the all-clear.

Cooper liked to be in the tunnel when the cars drove over it.

The wagon ruts on the Oregon Trail.

Cooper at the wagon ruts.

Amelia at the wagon ruts.

 Wait.....what was that you said? That last picture of Amelia looks like she's been crying? Oh, well, YOU'D. BE. CORRECT. Sweet, sensitive, worry-some Amelia ran into yet another snake. Remember I mentioned the trail was 0.8 miles long? Well, at 0.75 she saw the tail end of another snake as it slithered away into the tall grass. This time she climbed up me and almost knocked me over. I carried her to the wall near the ruts where she saw the sign but didn't want to walk over to the actual ruts.

After a second snake sighting we packed it back to our cabin and stayed in snake-free territory....until supper. We walked down to visit Joey and Jojo and the Dalrymple's. I was chatting with my cousins when I heard Jojo telling Amelia to come this way and was leading her toward me quickly. What had happened? Joey had stepped on a bull snake only twenty feet away. We'd probably walked right past it! Luckily, Amelia didn't see it this time, and my cousin caught the snake and relocated it far, far away.


Cooper in our cabin. He was "relaxing".

MaryAnn and Dad.
The next morning we packed up and said our good-byes. The trip was so much fun (minus the snake run-ins) and I am grateful we could see family that I hadn't for so long! I'm looking forward to the next reunion!

Cooper and Amelia before we left. Right after I took this picture, Cooper snapped himself in the forehead with his headlamp, giving himself a huge bump.

4 comments:

j2 said...

Listen, I lived around snakes and they are Satan reincarnated!!! And all of them I ever saw were 9 feet long! I am thankful Amelia got out of there alive!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't know which part of your blog is the most fun. . . the pictures, or the narrative!!! Loved them both! Great weekend!
Nana

Katie Call said...

So fun!! I miss all you guys! Next time, come meet at the ocean. I haven't seen one snake yet!

Megan Gunyan said...

Hahahaha! Cooper just cracks me up. I'm sorry Amelia has been traumatized for life. She should go to a condo in the city for her next vacation. No wild animals there.