Friday, April 19, 2013

Career Change: I'm Gonna Be a Bon Jovi Roadie

Have you ever had a life-changing moment? An experience that alters the very path you have set for yourself? A short window of time when something happens that's so profound, so soul-touching, so infused with complete and total rightness that you simply can't ignore its influence?

I am quitting college to become a Bon Jovi roadie.

Okay, that's stretching the truth a bit, but I truly had the most fun I have had in years at the Bon Jovi concert Wednesday night. It was my very first concert, and will likely be my last.....I just don't see how anything can possibly top those two and a half hours. But, let's start at the beginning, shall we?

My friend Shari and I arrived in SLC about 4pm, checked into the hotel, and quickly glammed ourselves up for our night out:

Good thing we took a picture here, because the Idaho wind followed us throughout the night and wreaked havoc on our carefully styled hair. we traversed the massive City Creek to find Cheesecake Factory where I had possibly the best sandwich I've ever eaten and cheesecake with strawberries as big as golf balls. We made our way to the arena and saw this:
Yep, that's the line.Luckily, we found a much shorter one on the other side of the building. After going through a metal detector, we found our seats by 6:45pm, ready for the 7:30pm show. By 7:20, we noticed the lack of people in their seats. Upon asking the usher, we found out the show had been postponed until 8pm. So, we left our seats and walked around a bit. I thought about buying a t-shirt, until I saw it cost more than a tank of gas, so I opted out. Memories would have to suffice......and oh, they do.

We found our seats again and got ready for the show to start. Having never been to a concert, I was amazed at how LOUD everything was. People, speakers, instruments, etc. There was little I could do other than be just as loud. The band came out on stage and rocked the place for a solid two and a half hours. Let me tell you, the phrase "you had to be there" is all I can think of. The roar of the crowd, the songs, the jokes, the atmosphere, EVERYTHING added together made it just flat out amazing. Wish I could've recorded the whole thing to re-live over and over!


This is the best picture I have of the concert, and it doesn't even begin to do it justice. Bon Jovi may be "up there" in years to some, but I'm here to tell you they can still rock out just fine! Jon really knows how to play to an audience (he's had 30 years of practice). Also,  I'm pretty sure he pointed to me a few times and winked when heard me screaming his name.

After the concert we got back to the hotel along with a few groups of fellow (inebriated) concert-goers. If someone yelled "Bon Jovi!" They would yell "Yeah! Woooo!" That was almost as fun as the concert.

I am soooooooo grateful I could go and experience the most fabulous 2 1/2 hours I've had in a long time. Thank you to my parents for watching my kids so I could go. I will truly remember it forever!!

3 comments:

j2 said...

Actually he looks much younger in that picture than he normally does! Maybe you could offer it to him and trade it for a t shirt!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had fun! Keep calling in for more contests! There are more adventures out there.
Nana

Katie Call said...

It sounds like sooo much fun! Wish I could have gone with you two!