Thursday, August 28, 2014

Back to School!

Amelia and Cooper started school yesterday! Tuesday Rexburg had the Party in the Park again. Cooper and I went off on our own because Amelia had a "date" with a few of her friends to hang out together at the party. Here a few pictures of my darlins:

Amelia with two of her friends. I continuously forget how small she is until I see her next to other girls her age!

This isn't a great picture, but this is a game Amelia was playing. If you fell off the platform, you were out. They had a huge ball you could thrown at others to try and knock them off while jumping from platform to platform. Amelia was in there for five minutes, through a rotation of fifteen children. She may be small, but she's a scrapper!

Mady and Amelia.

Cooper digging for treasure. 


One of the games, as always, is the bull-riding. Cooper was so incredibly focused it was funny:



Wednesday morning the kids were up early and ready in record time. They both looked so cute and grown-up!




Amelia's school starts 30 minutes later than Cooper's, so we dropped him off first. He ran half a block ahead of me, shouted hello to the new principal who looked a little shell-shocked, and sprinted into the school. He called hello to his 1st grade teacher and continued staright to his new room. By the time I got here, he'd given his teacher the Kleenex and Clorox wipes, introduced himself, reminded her she'd called Amelia Curly-Q (Amelia had her for 2nd grade trades), hung up his backpack and was running out to recess. I managed to stop him, take a hurried, blurry picture and he was off. No confidence problems with THAT kid!


I walked back to the car and started toward the middle school. Amelia was awfully quiet so I asked her if she wanted me to go in with her. She said yes. We parked at the school and I walked her in. The good news is that five other mothers were doing the same thing. We got to her classroom, I told her I'd see her at the bus stop tonight and to have a good day. She just stared at me for a bit and then said in a very tiny voice, "I think I'm a little nervous."  Just about broke my heart. By then her teacher had come to the door and I introduced Amelia and explained she was a little apprehensive about a new school and students she didn't know. Her teacher was fabulous, threw her arm around Amelia and brought her into the classroom and started settling her in. I quickly left before I went back in to tell Amelia she didn't have to stay in a strange new school with strange people.

Don't worry, I consoled myself with a sausage biscuit and cinna-melts from McDonald's.

When I picked her up that afternoon, I asked how middle school was, and she said (eyes shining) "It's AWESOME!!" Crisis averted. I asked is she stopped being nervous and she said yes. Whew. We quickly did a little homework and went to get Amelia fitted for her violin:


What a busy, crazy, fun, exhausting day! Good luck to my 2nd and 5th grader! I love you two!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we love all THREE of you! What a great day. What an exiting year you have ahead of you!!
Nana

j2 said...

Jill, you are amazing! When your two are parents, they will finally realize that you are Saint Jill!